If you plan to leave your North Fork home for warmer climates this winter, that’s great…just make sure you take steps to protect your home while you’re away.
Here are five things you should in your home (or your vacant summer vacation home) if you plan to leave Long Island for an extended period in Winter 2019:
- Protect your home and belongings – Give your home the appearance of being occupied: stop newspaper delivery and ask a friend or relative to collect flyers or other items that may be left at your door. Arrange for snow removal after storms and install motion-sensor or timer-powered exterior lights. Secure all doors and windows and activate alarm systems.
- Consider turning your water off – Frozen pipes and water leaks could cause significant damage to your home; consider completely turning off the water supply if no one will be there for an extended period. Drain your pipes of all water by opening the faucets, and flush your toilet to clear the water from the tank and bowl.
- If you keep your water on, keep at least some heat on in the house – Keep your thermostat at 55°F or higher to help keep floor and wall cavities above freezing temperatures. Keep room and cabinet doors open to warm areas where uninsulated pipes are located.
- Perform routine maintenance before you leave – Have your heating system inspected and serviced, fill fuel tanks, and ask someone to check on heat and fuel levels regularly. Have your roof inspected before you leave and clean your gutters to help prevent ice dams from building. Unplug all unnecessary appliances before you leave.
- Prepare for emergencies – Notify the police department and trusted neighbors that your property will be vacant, and provide emergency notification numbers to them. Test smoke alarms. Make sure your neighbors have your contact information and a list of local contractors they can reach if repairs or service are needed.
Or…let Burt’s Reliable do it for you
Want to make things much easier for yourself before you head south or lock up for the winter? Let Burt’s Reliable monitor, protect, and weatherize your Long Island home, as we do for nearly 2,000 of our satisfied customers.
Trust us with your keys and Burt’s will will make sure your home’s heating oil and/or kerosene tanks always have enough fuel to keep enough heat in the home during winter. If you want to winterize your home, we will shut down the water, tune up your equipment and have your home ready for action when you return in the spring.
Wi-fi thermostats and heating oil tank monitors are also available.
Leave your home with a clear head this winter – trust the pros at Burt’s Reliable to keep your property safe and protected until you return in the spring. Contact us today to learn more!