If you’ve been thinking there’s a better way to cool your house this summer than to drag those old, heavy window air conditioners down from the attic, you’re right: a mini-split system is a much smarter cooling solution for your eastern Long Island home.
But how much do you know about these high-efficiency cooling systems? Here are six things to know about ductless air conditioning for your home.
Six benefits of a ductless cooling system:
- A mini-split (or ductless) system has two parts – an inside component (the air handler) and an outside component (the condenser/compressor). A single outdoor unit can operate up to four air handlers.
- The key advantage of a mini-split system is that it doesn’t need ductwork.
- It can be installed quickly and cost effectively;
- It can go just about anywhere in your house – from room additions and offices to converted attics and media / data storage rooms where climate control is needed;
- No windows are required, since the unit installs directly into the wall;
- Your air quality will improve, since there are no ducts in which harmful microorganisms can grow and thrive; and
- You won’t loose energy through leaky ducts (in a central air conditioning system, as much as 30 percent of your cool air can be lost this way).
- Another key ductless mini-split advantage is that the system is very flexible: not only can you vary the size of air handlers for each room, but you can also control the energy spent in each zone via the air handler’s thermostat. This helps you to create high efficiency cooling zones.
- Unlike window A/C units, a mini-split won’t take away your view or provide a way for an intruder to invade your home; All that mini-split system installation requires is a 3-inch hole in your wall to connect the air handler to the condenser.
- Mini-split systems are extremely efficient, with some achieving SEER ratings ranging well into the 20s (most are in the 18-20 range). A window air conditioner, by contrast, usually operates in the 15- to 16-SEER range.
- Mini-split systems are much quieter than a window air conditioner, since the part that makes noise (the compressor/condenser) is outside your house (rather than inside the unit, as it is with window A/Cs).
When you add it up, a mini-split air conditioner set-up has big advantages over window air conditioners, giving you many of the benefits of central air conditioning without the need for ductwork. A ductless system can also be used to supplement your primary central air system, providing relief for your main cooling equipment as it manages hard-to-cool rooms or home additions.
Could a ductless cooling system be right for your East End or North Fork home? Contact us today and let’s talk about it. We’ll give you a comprehensive FREE estimate on a cooling system that works for your space and budget and get it installed in just a day or two. For ductless air conditioning installation in eastern LI, nobody beats the pros at Burt’s Reliable!
Please note: at Burt’s Reliable, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep you and our crews safe and your home comfort systems working during this challenging time.