Avoiding a Holiday Plumbing Emergency in Your North Fork Home
The holidays are the perfect time for great food, family, fun. They also present “perfect storm” conditions for plumbing emergencies, with a house full of people putting a big strain on the pipes in your North Fork home.
If you want to avoid a holiday disaster, here are some tips:
In the kitchen
- Avoid pouring cooking fat and oil down the drain; liquid fats can solidify in the pipes. Instead, pour pan grease into cups and let it harden before discarding in the garbage.
- Avoid putting fibrous waste into the garbage disposer (including poultry skins, carrots, celery, pumpkin pulp, coffee grounds, pasta, or banana peels).
- Run cold water down the drain for about 15 seconds before and after using the garbage disposer to flush waste down the main line (Tip: Run ice through you garbage disposal occasionally to keep the blades sharp). Always turn on the disposer before adding food debris.
- Run the dishwasher and washing machine at night or at off times to conserve hot water and keep adequate water pressure for your guests.
In the bathroom
- Try to spread out showers throughout the day; ask guests to wait 10-15 minutes between showers rather than taking one right after another.
- Remind guests to never flush anything besides toilet paper down your toilet (no cotton balls, paper towels, feminine hygiene products, etc.)
- If you have any issues with your home plumbing system, contact us before company arrives – we will take care of it!
If you have a holiday plumbing problem in your Long Island home, don’t panic – contact the master plumbers at Burt’s today!