Let’s face it, life can get busy these days – and when it does, it’s easy to forget something simple like checking the fuel levels in your heating oil tank.
The only problem is running out of heating oil can become a costly or potentially even dangerous problem for you.
Besides the inconvenience of a cold house, a heating oil runout can cause problems with fuel lines as sediment from the bottom of your heating oil tank works its way through your heating system. Having no heat at home could also cause your pipes to freeze, which can do a lot of costly damage.
Oil Run-Out Prevention Tips
The bottom line: running out of fuel oil is no fun. To avoid a heating oil runout in your eastern Long Island home, try these tips:
- Choose automatic delivery – With FREE automatic heating delivery, our tracking system will know when you’re ready for a heating oil delivery based on your past usage and the current weather; no more gauge gazing or need to call for service.
- Plan ahead – If you choose to remain a will call customer, monitor your own heating oil levels regularly – especially when temperatures dip. Order when your tank is no less than 25 percent full (sooner during a cold snap). Don’t wait until the last minute; instant deliveries are not always possible.
- Get a tank monitor – For ultimate peace of mind, install a Gremlin heating oil tank monitor. For a nominal monthly fee, we’ll know exactly how much fuel is in your tank at all times, so we can get more oil to you before you run out.
Emergency Heating Oil Deliveries In Eastern Long Island
If you do run out of heating oil, don’t panic – at Burt’s Reliable, we’ll take care of it™. In the meantime,
- take immediate steps to retain the heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- if you have other heating appliances such as fireplace, space heater, or electric heater, use them. NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
- contact us for an emergency heating oil delivery.
If you run out of heating oil this fall or winter, don’t panic – contact Burt’s Reliable. Our experts will fix your oil heating equipment, take care of any problems that arise, and refill your tank to keep your family safe and warm in your North Fork or East End home.