At Burt’s Reliable we do all we can to take the stress out of heating season, with convenient services and easy ways to pay for your heating oil. But sometimes bill paying can be a challenge – if you have recently lost a job, for example, or if you’re struggling to make ends meet in your Long Island home.
If you think you will have trouble paying your heating bill this winter, consider applying for assistance from the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) – you could be eligible for financial help to get you through this tough time.
Here are four common questions and answers about LIHEAP to help you get the application process started.
1. What is HEAP? HEAP is a federal program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills. HEAP offers several types of help for eligible, including Regular and Emergency benefits, Heating Repair or Replacement benefits, and Clean and Tune Benefits.
2. What are the HEAP program requirements? – To qualify for LIHEAP in Suffolk County, you must be a resident of NY State with a monthly household income (before taxes) that must not exceed the amounts indicated here.
- household size,
- the primary heating source, and
- the presence of a household member who is under age 6, age 60 or older or permanently disabled.
To find out if you may be eligible and apply for HEAP and other programs and services, visit this NY State eligibility page for prescreening requirements.
3. How can I apply for HEAP?
- For REGULAR benefits, you can apply:
- Online at myBenefits.ny.gov
- In person at your HEAP Local District.
- By mail (with completed HEAP application) to your HEAP Local District.
- For EMERGENCY benefits, you can apply by phone or in person at your HEAP Local District
- For Heating Equipment Repair and Replacement benefits, you must apply in person at your HEAP Local District
- For HEAP Clean and Tune benefits, call your HEAP Local District and ask for an application
Stay safe and warm this winter with assistance from HEAP and dependable heating oil deliveries from Burt’s Reliable. Contact us today to learn more.