Using Natural Heating Oil® (also known as Bioheat®) with a B20 biofuel blend from Burt’s Reliable can be one of the best ways to save money on heating bills in your North Fork or East End home this fall and winter. For one thing, you’ll get the cleanest-burning heating oil available today, which means you’ll maximize the efficiency of your furnace or boiler; for another, you’ll cut your per-gallon fuel costs by an average of $150 a year with a clean fuel credit from the State of New York.
Still, it’s a good idea to take a whole house approach if you want to save money on your heating bills in the coming months. Here are six things you can do in the weeks ahead to maximize home energy efficiency as we begin to transition to fall and winter 2019/20.
- Seal windows and doors – A small investment in caulk, door seals and door sweeps will more than pay for itself this heating season by reducing air leaks and keeping your family more comfortable. Consider plastic window coverings for more substantial air leaks in winter.
- Check/replace air filters – Clogged air filters reduce efficiency and cause your forced-air heating system* to work harder than it needs to, which can lead to costly heating system repairs down the road. Check your air filter once a month, cleaning or replacing it if needed.
- Clean / clear vents – Wipe down your vents to keep dust and debris out of your heating ducts. Move any furniture or objects that block airflow.
- Reverse your ceiling fan – Adjust your ceiling fan blades so they push rising warm air back down into the room (see your owner’s manual for instructions on how to reverse the rotation of your fan).
- Listen for unusual noises – Noises in your system can indicate vent blockages or debris, loose or broken parts, or other problems. If you hear something out of the ordinary, contact Burt’s for heating system service.
- Schedule preventive maintenance – A heating system tune-up will keep your equipment running efficiently and reliably all season long, so you’ll pay less for your bills and get more peace of mind (hint: a Gold or Silver Comfort Plan from Burt’s Reliable includes an annual tune-up, plus other cost-saving benefits).
Cooler weather is on the way to LI – stay one step ahead with preventive maintenance and other money saving services from Burt’s Reliable! Contact us today to learn more.
*If you have vents, you have a forced air heating system and a furnace. If you have radiators or baseboards, you have a hydronic system and a boiler.