Checklists For Your Primary and Summer Home
Planning to leave your full-time home to shelter-in-place in a second eastern LI home in the coming weeks? Make sure to take care of both properties.
Need assistance? Contact Burt’s Reliable – we can help!
In your primary home
- Protect it – Give your main home the appearance of being occupied by installing timers for lights in visible rooms and at your front entryway. Stop newspaper deliveries and ask a friend or relative to collect mail that may be left at your door. Secure all doors and windows and activate alarm systems.
- Consider turning your water off – Leaky pipes can damage your home; if you are going to be away for several months, consider turning off your main water supply.
- Consider schedule routine maintenance before you leave – Avoid the fall rush by having your annual heating system service performed before you leave.
- Tell a trusted neighbor – Let a trusted neighbor or family member know that your property will be vacant, and provide emergency notification numbers to them. Test smoke alarms. Make sure your neighbors have your contact information and a list of local contractors they can reach if repairs or service are needed.
- Consider installing a smart thermostat – Want to be able to control the climate of your primary home remotely? Install a Wi-Fi thermostat before you leave.
In your summer home
- Turn water back on – If you shut your water down after leaving last season, turn it on again – inside and outside your home.
- Check detectors – Check your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they’re working properly. Replace batteries if needed.
- Inspect A/Cs – Make sure air conditioners and fans are ready for action. Install window air-conditioning units or replace them with a high-efficiency mini-split system. Replace or clean air filters; if you have central air conditioning, consider having it professionally serviced (although you don’t necessarily need to do it every year).
- Clean your outdoor grill – Give your propane grill a deep cleaning. Here are some tips.
- Thoroughly clean outdoor spaces – Sweep, them mop, porch and deck floors. Look for obvious signs of wear or rotting, performing any needed repairs.
- Wash your windows – If you didn’t tackle exterior window washing in the spring, now’s the time to get your glass clean.
- Maintain your garden – Keep weeds down and help the ground retain its moisture in the heat to give your plants a chance to grow. Establish a healthy watering routine to promote the growth of deep, strong roots.
- Hunt down any leaks – Check all hoses and exterior faucets for leaks, then turn your attention to indoor fixtures and pipes.
- Do some fancy footwork – Strive to establish a routine of removing shoes at the door; If you live near a beach, a tub of water for sandy feet placed by the door works wonders for keeping sand outside.
Leave your home with a clear head this summer – trust the pros at Burt’s Reliable for home heating and cooling service in eastern Long Island and Suffolk County. Contact us today to learn more.
Please note: at Burt’s Reliable, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep you and our crews safe and your home comfort systems working during this challenging time.