A properly installed heating oil furnace will last 15 years or more if it is professionally maintained. But eventually, even well-maintained heating equipment will wear down – and if you wait too long to replace it, you may find yourself with an oil-fired money pit on your hands.
The big question is how long is “too long?” The answer isn’t always obvious, but there are signs – some subtle, some obvious – to watch for.
When to replace your furnace
Consider replacing your furnace (especially if it’s on the long side of 15 years old) if:
- your furnace needs frequent repairs
- your energy bills are going up despite usage staying the same
- rooms in your house are heating unevenly, leaving hot and cold spots
- your furnace is cycling (turning on and off) more frequently than in the past
- your home is starting to have humidity problems
- your furnace becomes excessively noisy or develops odd noises (rattles, buzzes, or humming, for example)
- your furnace starts emitting excessive dust, soot, or dirt
- you see visible signs of rust in and around your furnace, or if any of the components show cracks or corrosion
Making a furnace repair/replace decision
As with any home comfort equipment choice, your best bet is to educate yourself as much as possible before making your new furnace purchase – and the best way to do it is to contact an experienced heating professional like the ones you’ll find at Burt’s Reliable.
Our experts will assess your heating needs, make recommendations for your upgrade, and install your furnace quickly and neatly so you can get back to enjoying your warm, comfortable eastern Long Island home.
If you live in the North Fork or East End of Long Island, there’s only one choice for reliable heating equipment installation and service: Burt’s Reliable. Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on high efficiency heating equipment installation in eastern LI!