Professional maintenance is a key to keeping your home cooling system healthy – and whether you want to prevent problems or simply want to keep your current system in top shape, you’re probably going to need it every year.
But what goes into a good air conditioning service session? Let’s take a closer look.
Five components a cooling maintenance expert will check
A complete, professional cooling system service visit will include a detailed look at each of the following components:
- Mechanical components – Your A/C system contains parts that move, such as the blower motor and compressor. A technician will check to make sure these parts are properly lubricated to keep them from breaking down due to friction. They will also replace or repair any worn, damaged, or missing parts. An inspector will also check AC belts, bolts, screws, nuts, fans, and blowers for corrosion and wear. Lastly, he will check your compressor, along with all drainage and condensate lines.
- Electrical components – Next, a technician will turn on your A/C system to make sure it is properly powered and running. He will check electrical connections for shorts, corrosion, frayed wires, or any other issues that could affect the performance of your AC system.
- Condenser and evaporator coils – Indoor evaporator and outdoor condenser coils must be kept clean of dust, insects, and debris (one of the more important reasons for changing your air filters regularly). During an A/C tune-up, a technician will clean the coils to help your air conditioning unit run efficiently, then check airflow through the coils. He will also check coil fins for damage, fixing any problems with a fin comb.
- Refrigerant – Your technician will check for signs of refrigerant leaks in the system, checking levels to be sure they are correct for your unit and in your cooling lines. He may need to flush or repair the refrigerant lines and add more refrigerant, taking care not to overcharge your system.
- Thermostat – A technician will check your thermostat to make sure it is properly functioning, that all wiring is in good condition, and that the unit is properly calibrated. He will also check the location of the thermostat to make sure it is best positioned (out of the sunlight, for example) to provide accurate readings of conditions in your home.
As you can see, there’s a lot going on in your air conditioning system – which is why it pays to invest in an annual tune-up from the pros at Burt’s Reliable. Our technicians examine all of these components and more to make sure you’re getting the performance you need throughout the warm weather months, year after year.
For expert central air conditioning maintenance in eastern LI, trust the pros at Burt’s. Contact us today to schedule a cooling system tune-up in the North Fork and East End with one of our licensed experts.