It often happens on the hottest days in Eastern LI: you turn on your air conditioner and…
Don’t worry – the expert team of air conditioning repair technicians at Burt’s Reliable is ready for any A/C emergency. But before you contact us for service, it pays to do a little detective work to see if the problem is one you can solve without paying for a house call.
Home Cooling Troubleshooting Tips
Here’s a troubleshooting guide for what to do if your A/C isn’t working the way it should:
If your air conditioner isn’t working at all:
- Make sure your thermostat:
- Is set to “AC,” “cool,” or “fan”
- Is set to at least 5 degrees below the current room temperature (if it isn’t, your cooling system sensors may not detect that it’s time to get working)
- Check for tripped circuit breakers.
- A circuit breaker trips (turns off) to stop the flow of electricity and keep a circuit from overheating; reset tripped circuits and try your air conditioner again (Tip: if it isn’t already, label your A/C and other circuits for quick reference during an outage).
- Make sure all power switches are on.
- Make sure power switches that affect both the outdoor (condenser) and indoor (air handler) units are on.
If none of the above measures work, contact us for service.
If your AC system turns on, but blows warm air:
- Make sure your thermostat is set properly (see #1 above).
- Make sure all vents are open and unblocked.
- Make sure all power switches are turned on (see #3 above).
- Check the outdoor condenser unit to see if it’s running. If it isn’t:
- Check the power switch
- Check the condenser’s circuit breaker
- Check for debris inside the condenser (TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST!)
- Check the indoor unit.
- Make sure the power switches are on
- Check for clogged air filters; clean or replace them if needed and try the A/C again
Want to know the best way to avoid most A/C problems? Sign up for a Burt’s A/C Comfort Plan, which includes an annual tune-up, priority service calls, and repair discounts. Contact us to sign up today and get expert air conditioning service in Long Island’s East End and North Fork from the pros at Burt’s Reliable!