With temperatures rising and the coronavirus potentially keeping us indoors more than usual in the coming weeks and months, having a reliable cooling system becomes crucial to maintaining our comfort at home.
If your cooling system is having trouble from the outset of warm weather and you find you might need to repair or replace it, Burt’s Reliable is there for you with Emergency Service during this challenging time.
If you’re not sure what course to take, here are some repair vs. replace guidelines:
Repair your air conditioner if:
- Your cooling system is less than 10 years old
- It can be fixed with a reasonable hope that there won’t be further issues
- Your AC is properly sized for your home
- The problems are minor (smaller electrical issues, minor ductwork repairs, blocked drain lines, etc.)
- Repair costs are 25 percent of the cost of replacement or less
- Your monthly energy bills have risen by less than 10 percent since last year
- Your system has been repaired less than twice over the last decade
Replace your air conditioner if:
- Your system is 10 years old or older
- Damage is severe (blown compressor, damaged condenser coils, etc.)
- Your AC is undersized for your home (for example, if you’ve built a house addition since installing it)
- The repair costs more than 25 percent of replacement costs (especially on older equipment)
- Your monthly energy bills have gone up by more than 10 percent since last year
- Your system has been repaired more than twice over the last decade
At Burt’s Reliable, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our Covid-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep our crews and your home home comfort systems working through this challenging time. Contact us today to schedule A/C maintenance in eastern LI from the pros at Burt’s Reliable.