A home cooling system is a big investment – so when it’s time to upgrade your current A/C (if it’s more than 10-12 years old, it probably is), it pays to do a little research.
Here are three important factors to consider when shopping for a new air conditioning system for your Long Island home:
- Efficiency – An air conditioner’s operating efficiency is expressed in its SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating. Similar to MPG for your car, the higher the SEER rating, the more efficient the unit is. The current legal minimum for SEER ratings is 14, which could be twice as high as your current system (meaning that it takes half as much energy to produce the same amount of cooling effect). That energy savings is often enough to offset the cost of a new unit within a two- to three-year period, especially when you factor in incentives (see #3 below).
As for comparing new systems, expect to spend 8-10 percent more for each one-point increase in SEER, all other factors being equal. Lower energy bills could offset the higher cost in the long-term, depending on future energy costs.
- Capacity – When it comes to central air conditioners, more power isn’t always better: in fact, if your A/C is too big, it will cycle (turn off and on) too often, causing unnecessary wear and tear on the unit. What you want is an air conditioner that matches (or is slightly larger than) your home’s cooling load. Some factors that influence cooling load include:
- The size and layout of your house
- The materials your home is made from
- How much direct sunlight your home gets
- How much insulation you have installed
- The size and kind of windows you have
Calculating cooling load is not simply a matter of measuring the volume of your home! If you want to make sure your air conditioner is the right size for your space, ask us.
- Rebates and incentives – Your family aren’t the only people who want you to install a new high-efficiency air conditioner in your home – the government, your electrical utility, and manufacturers want you to do it, too. Rebates and incentives could save you hundreds of dollars on a new installation.
Our service team can help you sort through incentive and rebate opportunities to get you the best deal on your new A/C.
Contact Burt’s Reliable today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on a new high-efficiency central air conditioner for your North Fork or East End home!