Memorial Day Is Coming – Time to Get Your Summer Home Ready
Memorial Day is creeping up on us here in Eastern Long Island, and if you have a summer home the time is fast approaching to get that getaway squared away.
Here’s a checklist of some things to remember to do in your summer vacation home in the coming weeks.
- Do a detector check. Check your home’s smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to make sure they’re working properly. Change the batteries and make sure the units haven’t passed their expiration date (usually five or ten years, depending on the model).
- Clean your grill. Did you know that leftover grease is the leading cause of barbecue grill fires? Give your grill a once over before your marathon Memorial Day cookout. If you use a propane grill, make sure you have enough gas to make it through the long weekend.
- Check your deck/porch. Give outdoor wooden surfaces a thorough once-over with a broom and mop, and hammer in any nails that are poking up.
- Wash your windows. If you didn’t tackle exterior window washing in the spring, it’s time to get your glass clean.
- Take care of your garden. Give your plants a chance to grow – add mulch to keep weeds down and help the ground stay moist in the summer heat. Deadhead perennials and annuals to keep them productive. Water deeply a few times a week to help promote strong roots; avoid watering lightly daily.
- Give your plumbing a once-over. Check hoses and exterior faucets, then turn your attention to the inside of your home. Look for leaks or signs of mold and take care of them quickly with the help of a professional plumber.
- Keep dirt and mud outside. Place a coarse mat outside your front door and a softer cloth one inside to avoid tracking dirt in. Consider instituting no shoes policy. If you live near a beach, keep a basic in water near your front door for sandy feet.
- Inspect up your air-conditioners. If you haven’t already, prep air conditioners and fans for their busiest season.
- If you have window air conditioners, clean them before installing them (or skip the backbreaking work altogether and install a super efficient, super quiet ductless mini-split A/C).
- If you have central air conditioning, schedule a professional tune-up.
- Clean all ceiling fans and other fans with a damp rag.
Summer is coming – get your vacation home ready with the help of Burt’s Reliable! Contact us today to get reliable plumbing service, air conditioning maintenance and installation, and more for your North Fork or East End, LI home.